17 Fun Things To Do Around The Chesapeake Bay in August
The final month of summer brimming with fun summer activities to do around the Chesapeake Bay. We’ve found the best 17 ways to make the most of the dog days of summer.
- Sailing and the Chesapeake Bay are perfect mates. On August 2nd and 3rd it will host the oldest and longest overnight race, Governor’s Cup Yacht Race. The race starts in Annapolis and finishes in beautiful St. Mary’s. After last years cancellation, this event is sure to bring out all the local mariners.
- Four stages and numerous acts highlight CFCU American Music Festival in Virginia Beach on Labor Day Weekend. The beach view stages are a beautiful sight for any concert goer.
- There's nothing more entertaining than Dragon Boats! At the Solomans Island Dragon Boat Festival, August 16th and 17th, you can cheer on a fleet of 40 foot boats to the beat of Chinese drums. This event is very kid and family friendly.
- Gavin DeGraw, is the headline act on August 2nd at the Waterside Music Series, at the Calvert Marine Museum in Solomons, MD. Proceeds from these concerts support the education and preservation efforts at CMM. Did we mention the view overlooking the water while listening to this amazing artist?
- Can’t wait for 2021’s America’s Cup (currently held by New Zealand)? Check out the Deal Island Skipjack Races & Island Festival on August 31st – Sept 2nd. Deal Island is on the MD side of the eastern shore by the VA state line. Did you know that a Skipjack is the primary boat used for harvesting oysters from the Chesapeake Bay? Go check it out!
- Rise to the challenge and honor soldiers by taking part in the Quantico Tri and 12K on August 24 at the Marine Corps Base Quantico. This event is a warm up to the Marine Corps Marathon on October 27th.
- It’s coined as “Definitely Something to Buzz About” and they are right. The Virginia Honey Bee Festival on August 17th is quite the sticky event at the Norfolk Botanical Gardens, there’s no bees about it!
- Indulge in a glass of craft beer during the Neptune’s Coastal Craft Beer Festival on August 24th in Virginia Beach. Sampling all would be a hefty day since there will be 65 beers from 30 breweries,
- Crab Fests are abundant during the summer. This month is bookended by two great crab events. In Baltimore take in some Star Spangled history at Fort McHenry while chowing down during the Fort McHenry Crab Feast on August 3rd.
- Across the bay at the “Crab Capital of the World”, Crisfield, MD, the National Hard Crab Derby and Fair will take place Labor Day Weekend. Don’t miss the Miss Crustacean Pageant!
- While Otis Redding was Sitting on the Dock of the Bay, Crisfield is hosting the BBQ event of the summer, Smoking on the Dock of the Bay. On August 9th and 10th , these grill masters will compete at a Kansas City Barbeque Society sanctioned event against big competition from North Carolina and more.
- The sight of colorful balloons floating through the air paired with local wine is an event to experience. On August 2nd -4th at the Triple Creek Winery in Cordova, MD, the Chesapeake Bay Balloon & Wine Festival will take over the Eastern Shore and light up the evening sky.
- How’s your fishing skills? Join the 17th Annual Wine, Women & Fishing Ladies-Only Charity Billfish Tournament on August 17 and 18th in Virginia Beach to raise money for breast cancer research. All levels of experience are welcome.
- Daft Punk was one of the original electronic music bands in the 1970’s and the Pet Shop Boys followed in the 80’s. On August 10th and 11th Baltimore will host the Moonrise Festival at Pimlico Race Course bringing the new era of electronic music.
- Labor Day weekend on the Eastern Shore should include the Monty Alexander Jazz Festival in Easton. This growing festival is becoming a Labor Day favorite and Jazz is the perfect way to send off summer.
- With acts like Sheila E and Brian McKnight the Norfolk Waterfront Jazz Festival is a great way to celebrate summer outdoors on August 23rd and 24th. Grab your chair, find a good spot on the waterfront and enjoy!
- We are all German when you want to partake in a good cold beer on a hot summer day. The Busch Gardens Bier Fest gives us a chance to eat, drink and dress like one.
Tagged: Annapolis, August, Baltimore, Boats, Chesapeake Bay, Chesapeake Bay Region, Crabs, Craft Beer, Eastern Shore, Events, Maryland, Norfolk, Sailing, Seafood, Summer, Things to do, Virginia, Virginia Beach