August was a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it affair, but that’s no reason to fear the end of the season. September is one of the most magical times of the year in the Chesapeake Bay Region, with cooler weather, minimal crowds and autumnal activities aplenty. Here are 13 reasons why September is the best month.
- While we love the citrus flavor of the summer, September means the beginning of fall inspired flavors: cinnamon, apple and pumpkin. Palette change is good.
- Whether its college or pro, football season in September is a great opportunity for outdoor drinking. Even if you’re not into the game, you’ll be into the social scene.
- While the days are beautiful, the nights can begin to get chilly. Grabbing a throw such these nautical cozy ones can make any chilly night snuggly.
- Ironman Maryland is held on September 28th in Cambridge, MD. Just a quick swim, 112 miles of pedaling, and scenic 26.2 mile run.
- Who says you can’t have a crab fest after Labor Day? Enjoy steamed crab, clams, and crab soup cook off at the Maryland Seafood Festival, September 7 and 8.
- With the weather cooling, a winery trip sounds in order and September is a perfect wine month for reds and whites. The Chesapeake Bay Region is home to 43 vineyards with 15 located on the Eastern Shore.
- On September 21st watch the Cambridge Skipjack Race on the Choptank river off the Chesapeake Bay. Who knew oyster dredging boats could race?
- Groove the night (and day) away at the GrooveFEST in Downtown Cambridge, Maryland on September 26 -29th.
- Enjoy the bounty of the Eastern Shore every week at a local farmers market.
- The Chesapeake Bay RV Resort will host the annual Bluegrass by the Bay in Gloucester, Virginia on September 11-15th.
- Welcome Fall with brews and BBQ and benefit birds as well. Head to Cape Charles Brewing Company for BIRDS, BREWS, & BBQ! This event helps Birding Eastern Shore, a local wildlife program.
- With the heat of the summer subsiding, drinking all types wines becomes more palatable. No better of an opportunity that at Neptune’s Fall Wine Festival, Virginia Beach on Sept14 -15th.
- Fall is oyster weather! The first Fall Oyster Fest of the season is in Etlan, VA on September 28th at Nomini Bay Oyster Ranch . Slurp, Slurp!
Tagged: Chesapeake Bay, Chesapeake Bay Region, Crabs, Eastern Shore, Events, Festivals, Films, Oysters, Sailing, St. Michaels, Summer, Virginia, Virginia Beach, Wine